In terms of maintenance items, fixing a burnt out tail light should be on the “reasonably easy” list. Unfortunately, that was not the case for me this time around. I replaced the bulb, but that did not solve the problem. The entire unit was out – turn signal, reverse light, brake light. Turns out, part of the ground wire was ruined and the pin it connected to had completely burnt off. Some drilling, soldering and sealing resulted in a not-so-terrible hack job that fixed the problem. One less Saturday spent writing.
Since I was tearing things apart anyway, I pulled the radio out, did some testing and disconnected the cable to the USB ports. Now my parasitic draw has disappeared. It’s almost like having a brand new car!
Chris L. Meyers is the author of the Legends of Aeo fantasy series and a variety of short stories. He loves creating new and interesting worlds full of believable characters and unexpected twists. He is also a geek who loves writing software and playing with vintage computers.
1 thought on “Sometimes fixing a tail light is difficult”
This would have meant a trip to the dealer for me, so kudos to you for fixing it.